Proven full-stack software engineer with over a dozen years of experience developing distributed web applications. Skilled in a variety of software languages, tools, and platforms, with expertise in Microsoft .NET technologies and Agile principles.
ThoughtWorks - Lead Software Developer
Aug 2015 – Present
Currently consulting on software development best practices and providing technical and team leadership at various organizations across Australia.
- Implemented key integrations between distributed systems in an accounting software company's flagship online tax preparation software offering — stack was principally Node.js, React.js, and PostgreSQL.
- Analyzed and recommended critical performance improvements to scientific modeling software (implemented in .NET) used by most of the nation's water management agencies.
EveryMove - Senior Software Engineer
Apr 2012 – May 2015
EveryMove is a fitness-motivation social network (EveryMove.org); I joined the startup to help initiate product development using their full stack: HTML5 / CSS3 / JS / ASP.NET MVC / C# / MSSQL.
- Co-invented EveryMove’s patent-pending fitness data points and rewards system.
- Implemented responsive designs optimized for desktop/laptop, tablet, and phone form factors.
- Supported growth of the user base from dozens of users to 70,000+ monthly active users.
- Integrated with numerous third party APIs including Facebook, Twitter, Amazon S3, and others.
ShareBuilder/ING Direct - Senior Software Engineer (Contract)
Sep 2010 – Apr 2012
Performed a variety of roles during the latest redesign of ShareBuilder’s consumer brokerage web application using C#, ASP.NET 3.5, and WCF (ShareBuilder.com).
- Developed a multi-factor authentication system on top of the commercial RSA suite.
- Spearheaded a performance task force that yielded an average 40% reduction in page load times across primary workflows while serving up to 2,000,000 page views per day.
- Transitioned to ShareBuilder’s mobile team to develop version 1.0 of their iPad application; responsible for development of REST/JSON services for consumption by the app and limited native iOS development using Objective-C.
Getty Images - Senior Software Engineer (Contract)
Jan 2009 – Sep 2010
Developed the enterprise web services platform to power new Getty stock photo sites: Jupiterimages.com, Thinkstock.com, Photos.com, and partner site Life.com using C#/WCF.
- Assisted enterprise search team with performance optimization and maintenance.
- Adhered strictly to TDD, using Moq and MSTest to ensure maintainable designs and high code coverage through unit tests and automated system-wide integration tests.
Serials Solutions - Senior .NET Consultant (Contract)
Aug 2008 – Dec 2008
Enlisted to provide .NET software development expertise to Serials Solutions’ core development team (SerialsSolutions.com).
- Implemented support for library consortia in version 3.0 of the company’s 360 Resource Manager SaaS product.
- Concurrently, tasked with identifying existing performance inefficiencies and addressing them.
Daptiv (formerly eProject) - Senior Software Engineer
Sep 2006 – Aug 2008
Performed new feature development for a leading SaaS project management software solution: Daptiv PPM (Daptiv.com).
- Led an initiative to redevelop a time-tracking subsystem for increased stabilization, performance, and better overall usability.
- Provided technical direction to an offshore team that focused on automating and validating software upgrades.
NetLibrary/OCLC - Software Engineer
Jun 2003 – Sep 2006
Developed e-content delivery solutions for public and academic libraries using .NET and SQL Server.
- Internationalized and localized primary web applications.
- Integrated the Autonomy enterprise search platform into the company’s core e-content discovery and retrieval web application.
- Led initiative to adopt web standards and achieve Section 508 and WCAG 1.0 accessibility compliance.
Languages & Technologies
MCPD – Microsoft Certified Professional Developer (Web Developer)
MCTS – Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist (.Net Framework, Web Applications)
University of Colorado Boulder
Graduated May 2006 with a Bachelor of Arts in English and a minor in Computer Science.